Thursday, September 22, 2011

Tailgate Recipe #4: S'more Cookies

I can’t ever make up my mind on whether or not s’mores are a summer or fall/winter treat. I want them in the summer after I’ve been out in the pool all day. But, I want them in the fall and winter while I’m warming up by a campfire.

I’ve at least decided it’s not a springtime treat. Can’t it be a summer, fall and winter sweet treat?

Yes? Well, I think so too!

Last week, like any other typical Saturday morning, I spent it rushing around the house getting ready for an exciting Razorback game. Unfortunately, the weather was quite different than the previous two games. It was a little chilly and very rainy.

This is where s’mores come in as a fall treat.

Wait. S’mores at a tailgate party? Bad idea. Let’s try S’more Cookies!


This recipe takes all of the important ingredients of an original s’more, stacks it up nicely and bakes to a perfect, easy-to-pick-up, square-shaped cookie.

In a blender, mix the butter and sugars until it becomes a fluffy mixture. Add the eggs and vanilla next and mix until combined.

Add flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and combine.

Stir in the chocolate chips and marshmallows.


Line your graham crackers side by side on the pans so they touch. You can add or remove the crackers according to how much dough you have.

Place the dough in the center of each graham cracker square. I used about 1 ½ tablespoons per cracker.  Press down slightly with your fingers or the back of a spoon.


Bake for 5 minutes, then remove from oven to press chocolate bar pieces on to the top.


Bake for 5 – 7 more minutes or until dough is beginning to turn golden brown at the edges. Once the cookies have cooled, slice with a pizza cutter close to where the perforated marks would be.



Take these to your next tailgate party; especially if it’s a chilly and rainy day!

Cheers!
Christi



Ingredients:
11 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar, packed
½ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
2 ½ cups flour
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ cup mini marshmallows
3 regular sized Hershey’s bars, broken into pieces
1-2 packages graham crackers, broken into squares

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line baking pans with a Silpat or parchment paper. 

Lay out graham crackers side by side so they are touching. You may have to add or remove graham crackers according to how much dough you have.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter with white and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.

Add the soda, salt, cinnamon and flout to the butter mixer and combine on low speed.

Fold in the chocolate chips and marshmallows.


Place tablespoons of dough on graham crackers about 1 – 1 ½ inches apart. Press down slightly with fingertips.


Bake for 5 minutes then remove from oven to press chocolate bar pieces on to the top.



Bake for 5 – 7 more minutes or until dough is beginning to turn golden brown at the edges. Once the cookies have cooled, slice with a pizza cutter close to where the perforated marks would be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've made these before and they are so yummy.But I love that you used a finer chocolate than Hershey's. Which leads me to my question - will you divulge the chocolate brand you used?

We'll be at the Bama/Arkansas game this Saturday. Can't wait! It's definitely the marquis game of the week. It should be a good one!

Christi's Chirps said...

Hi, Ally! Thanks for dropping by.

Funny you should ask about the chocolates. As usual, I was breezing through the grocery store rather quickly and just grabbed the...wait for it... GENERIC chocolate. As soon as I got to the step of pressing in the chocolate piece on the cookie, I thought to myself, "Oh, darn. I didn't get a pretty chocolate bar to top these with." However, when I opened up the package I was so surprised to see the nice detail the chocolates had. They tasted just as great, too!

And there you have it. Generic chocolate can be pretty and taste delish too.

P.S. I bet you had a blast at the Bama game! ;) Hopefully our season will only go up from that game.

Happy week to you!

Anonymous said...

Those are generic chocolates? I never would've guessed. They're so pretty, they remind me of chocolates I would buy when I was working in Germany.

We did have a great time at the game, thank you! I have no doubt Arkansas is gonna have a great season. Tyler Wilson is a scary QB to face. he's better mechanically & out of the pocket than Ryan Mallett imo. There's no downside to that kid. Y'all have just been bitten by an injury bug. We had it a few years ago when we were racing to the top again. It stinks. The west is so loaded this year, that schedule is a grind. Do me a favor and beat the SC gamecocks!! :)

Have a great week as well, Christi!

Christi's Chirps said...

Hi, Ally-We are hoping that Arkansas' season can only go up from here! :) Alabama is such a great team. I wasn't as disappointed after this season's loss as I was last season when they came back to win after a score of 27-0 at half time. Yikes!

So glad you had a great time in Alabama! I'll cheer extra loud during the SC game to get the Hogs a WIN! :)

Cheers,
Christi