Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Three Easy Hors d'oeuvres

Now that I’ve given you the deets on how to make super cute coasters, let me give you some ideas on what to snack on while crafting.

We enjoyed fondue with salami and French bread, crispy asparagus sticks and chocolate croissants.

Easy Hors d'oeuvre idea #1: Fondue


This was my first time to make fondue. I’ve had my fondue maker for two years now and haven't used it. What have I been thinking? It was so easy and so delicious, I will certainly be making this again very soon.

I poured in the white wine and let it simmer before adding the rest of the ingredients. When it all came together in a beautiful harmony, I turned down the heat and set it aside.

There she is on the left!


I had a platter of diced French bread and fresh salami ready to be dipped in the gooey fondue.

Easy Hors d'oeuvre idea #2: Crispy Asparagus Sticks



I was really excited to make these asparagus sticks. I’ve wanted to make them for awhile, but just haven’t had the right occasion.

After you snip the ends of the asparagus off, dip them in a beaten egg and coat in the Panko mixture.

Place on a wire rack and bake!


These were even better than I expected, even though I baked them for a little too long. I used pencil asparagus and they baked a little quicker than I was expecting. Next time I want them to be a little crunchier so I’ll take them out just as the breading gets brown.


This would make for a terrific side dish to almost any meal!

Easy Hors d'oeuvre idea #3: Chocolate Croissants


Here’s a scrumptious dessert that is so, so delicious and something you can prep ahead of time. Score! Although, even without prepping ahead of time, it’s so simple.

You simply begin with puff pastry that you will find in the freezer section.


Cut each sheet into eight triangles.


Drop two squares of milk chocolate in each triangle.


And roll!



STOP: Here’s where you can wrap these little nuggets up and store them overnight.  Place them in the refrigerator and bake within 24-36 hours.


Right before I placed them in the oven to bake, I applied an egg wash to the tops to make them golden brown.

Here they are!



These croissants are so delicious. They are flaky, buttery, decadent and will honestly make you think you're on the sidewalks of Paris.  

Enjoy, my friends!
Christi


FONDUE:

Ingredients:
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 pound shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 pound shredded Gruyere cheese
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 loaf French bread, cut into 1 inch cubes

Directions:
Simmer wine in fondue pot. Add Swiss cheese, Gruyere cheese, 1/4 pound at a time. Stir after each addition of cheese until melted. Stir in flour. When all the cheese has melted, stir in salt and nutmeg. Serve with cut-up French bread. 


CRISPY ASPARAGUS STICKS:

Ingredients:
1 bunch of asparagus (mine had about 30 spears)

2 egg whites
1/4 cup flour 
1 cup seasoned panko crumbs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
salt and pepper

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lay a wire rack on a baking sheet and coat with non-stick spray.

Snap off the tough ends of each asparagus spear. On two separate plates, add the eggs whites (lightly beaten) and the panko + flour + cheese. Season the panko mixture with salt and pepper if desires. Coat each asparagus spear in egg whites, then lay in the panko mixture and thoroughly cover. If the panko won’t stick, dip back in the egg whites and roll in panko once again. Lay each spear on the wire rack.

Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy


CHOCOLATE CROISSANTS:

Ingredients:
1 box frozen puff pastry, thawed
2-3 bars of milk chocolate, broken into squares
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
sugar

Directions:
After the two sheets of puff pastry have thawed, cut into eight triangles. Place two bars of chocolate into each triangle and wrap into bundles. 

Place on baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.

Beat one egg and add water. Baste the egg wash over each bundle and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.







Sources:

No comments: