Friday, August 26, 2011

Black Magic Cake

Sources are a huge determining factor when I select recipes. I also take reviews into major consideration before I stir up something I hope to be scrumptious. I like to see what others say and recommend. One source that I most always skip over is the one on the back of a box or bag. I’m not sure when this all started, but I am never quite in love with the results after baking or cooking something that was placed there by the brand itself.

That was until I kept finding my way across the Hershey.com recipes page. There is a Black Magic Cake from Hershey that has a recipe that has been around for quite some time and with amazing reviews.

Okay. I give in. Let’s try this thing out.

I baked the chocolate cake. Then I had a bite. Followed by several more bites. And now I am here to tell you how amazing this chocolate cake is.

Look at this!


Since I seemed to be doing well with the recipe off Hershey.com, I made a chocolate icing that came off of the Hershey’s chocolate powder box. It too was so marvelous.


The texture is unlike any cake I’ve ever had. It’s fluffy but dense and oh-so moist. The chocolate taste is so bold and rich. The cup of strong coffee the recipe calls for really does bring out the richness of the chocolate.

Don’t ask me if this was my second slice.


Give it a try this weekend and share it with friends.

Cheers!

Christi


Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
1 cup strong black coffee OR 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee plus 1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions:
Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan. 

Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes (Batter will be thin). Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for rectangular pan or until wooden pick
inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool
completely. Frost as desired. Yields 10 to 12 servings.

* To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.



Perfect Chocolate Frosting:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup Hershey’s Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions:
Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla.


Here's my source: http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/4754/Black-Magic-Cake.aspx

No comments: