Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Chocolate Pudding


I can’t even begin to tell you how amazing this pudding is. I've never made homemade pudding before. I’m not even that big of a pudding fan. Here’s how I decided on pudding in the first place:

I love chocolate milk. Love. Sunday evening I went to make myself a glass only to find that I was out of Hershey’s chocolate syrup. I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to try making my own chocolate syrup. I loved the thought of it, not to mention skipping out on the whole high-fructose corn syrup nastiness.

Well, I made it. It was pretty and it was easy. Unfortunately, it was not tasty. I guess I am too used to high-fructose corn syrup. Darn.

Monday rolled around and I still had chocolate on my mind. I thought about alternative options for today's post. A few of the chocolate contestants were: Chocolate banana bread, chocolate meringue pie and chocolate cheesecake, just to name a few. 

By the way, I have an amazing chocolate cheesecake recipe that has a chocolate crust made from Teddy Grahams and topped with a chocolate ganache. Good Lord, it’s amazing. We can talk about that more at a later date.

By the time I left work, I was so hot. I needed chocolate and it needed to be nice and cold.

Hello, chocolate pudding. I feel that it is really important to mention here that I made this with FAT-FREE MILK! Heck yes!


Trot to the nearest store, pick up two chocolate bars and make this now.

This is the chocolate I used.


Get this nice and chilly before serving. I served mine with a spoonful of freshly whipped cream and a few raspberries. You don’t need to add anything though. It’s amazing just the way it is.

NOTE: If your pudding doesn’t get thick after 15-20 minutes, take the top pan off the double broiler and set it directly on the stove and stir for a few minutes. I had to do that and it thickened right up.

ANOTHER NOTE: I don’t own a double broiler. Never have. I just place a smaller sauce pan onto a bigger sauce pan and hold it awkwardly. I am super fancy.

LAST NOTE: I didn’t run my pudding through a fine-mesh strainer like the recipe suggested. It had a few tiny lumps in it. I probably won’t skip that step next time, but it really didn’t bother me a bit in this batch. Just stir, stir, stir and skip it if you want.

Seriously. Go make this now.


Cheers!
Christi



Silky Chocolate Pudding
Adapted from the fabulous 
http://smittenkitchen.com/



1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 cups fat-free milk
6 ounces 70% bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped 
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract



1. Combine the cornstarch, sugar and salt in the top of a double boiler. Slowly whisk in the milk, scraping the bottom and sides with a heatproof spatula to incorporate the dry ingredients. Place over gently simmering water and stir occasionally, scraping the bottom and sides. Use a whisk as necessary should lumps begin to form. After 15 to 20 minutes, when the mixture begins to thicken and coats the back of the spoon, add the chocolate. Continue stirring for about 2 to 4 minutes, or until the pudding is smooth and thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.


2. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer (or skip this step if you’re a slacker like me who is absolutely certain that there is nary a lump her puddin’) into a serving bowl or into a large measuring cup with a spout and pour into individual serving dishes.


3. If you like pudding skin, pull plastic wrap over the top of the serving dish(es) before refrigerating. If you dislike pudding skin, place plastic wrap on top of the pudding and smooth it gently against the surface before refrigerating. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 3 days (ahem, good luck with that).

No comments: