Friday, August 12, 2011

Tacos with Quinoa

I've had Mexican food three nights this week and I didn’t mind it one bit. It’s absolutely my favorite. This week I switched up taco night with a little something different. Instead of Mexican rice, we had quinoa. (Pronounced “KEEN-wah.”)

What is quinoa, you ask?

 Find it in the rice aisle.

Quinoa is a whole grain seed that can be prepared similarly to rice. It takes a quick 15 minutes to cook and is packed in protein, high in fiber, contains all nine essential amino acids and is gluten–free.

It’s healthy, y’all and oh-so delicious!

Just like rice, you can enjoy quinoa in many different ways by adding your own favorite ingredients to it and mix it together.

Once the seeds have boiled for about 15 minutes, they grow to be pretty and fluffy.

To spice up my quinoa, I added cumin, fresh lime juice, cayenne and garlic powder. I would have added fresh cilantro, but we we’re out.

The gang’s all here!


(I added lime juice to the mix, but they were late for the party pic.)


I topped corn tortillas with sour cream, pepper jack cheese, black beans, corn, tomatoes, avocado slices and served the tacos over quinoa.



Make quinoa this weekend and let me know how it goes!

Cheers,
Christi

Ingredients:
2 cups water

1 cup quinoa
Sprinkle of salt
Add seasonings of choice after it has fully cooked

Directions:
Place quinoa and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until all the water is absorbed (about 15 minutes).

You will know that the quinoa is done when all the grains have turned from white to transparent, and the spiral-like germ has separated. Makes 3 cups.   

No comments: